Home / Recent News (page 9)

Recent News

Casino applications stretch thousands of pages

By Milton J. Valencia|  GLOBE STAFF   JANUARY 01, 2014 Wynn Resorts delivered a final application more than 18,000 pages long to the Massachusetts Gaming Commission, promising a $1.3 billion resort casino on the Mystic River waterfront. MGM’s application for a Springfield casino topped 7,000 pages. And Mohegan Sun submitted more than 16,000 pages outlining its plans for a 42-acre project at Suffolk Downs in Revere. The three companies, the remaining applicants for two of the state’s three casino licenses, submitted their final applications by Tuesday’s deadline, punctuating a comprehensive, two-phase application process that had already seen other companies bow out of the competition. The gambling commission said on its website Tuesday that it plans to publicly post the lengthy applications next week. It hopes to name the winning licensees for Western and Eastern Massachusetts by May. Link to Story

Read More »

Revere would receive $33m down payment, $25m to $30m a year, under Mohegan Sun proposal

By Mark Arsenault |  GLOBE STAFF     DECEMBER 23, 2013 REVERE — Connecticut casino giant Mohegan Sun would pay the City of Revere $33 million upfront, as well as annual payments of at least $25 million to $30 million under a deal announced today for a gambling resort at the Suffolk Downs racetrack. The deal is expected to go before Revere voters for a referendum vote in about 60 days. “Through this partnership, Mohegan Sun and Suffolk Downs will create jobs, enhance our local and state economy, and generate much needed revenue,” Mayor Daniel Rizzo said in a statement. Mohegan Sun wants to build a $1 billion gambling resort on about 42 acres in Revere owned by Suffolk Downs, which the casino operator would lease. Plans call for about 4,000 slot machines, 100 table games, and a poker room. “This agreement formalizes the strong partnership we’ve quickly established with …

Read More »

Gambling panel formally OK’s new Revere casino vote

Decision keeps Suffolk Downs proposal alive By Mark Arsenault|  GLOBE STAFF   DECEMBER 19, 2013   The state gambling commission this morning formally approved a waiver for Mohegan Sun and the city of Revere to permit another casino referendum in the city, probably in February. The waiver lifts one element of a year-end deadline for final casino resort applications, and allows a Mohegan Sun casino plan at Suffolk Downs to move ahead in the contest for the Greater Boston resort casino license. The waiver applies only to the new referendum vote; the company must still submit all other documentations and drawings to support its bid by Dec. 31. The waiver comes in response to a split vote for an earlier Suffolk Downs casino plan that would have located the casino in both Revere and adjacent East Boston. Revere voters supported the project, but East Boston voters said no. Hours after the vote, …

Read More »

Compromise Keeps Casino Proposal Alive

The caveat being that Revere must take another vote for the new Mohegan Sun proposal, and that the Commission would give the new proposal a waiver for its Dec. 31 application deadline – a waiver that would only allow them to turn in the results of the vote after the deadline.

Read More »

Suffolk Downs casino proposal not dead yet

By Adrian Walker|  GLOBE COLUMNIST    DECEMBER 04, 2013   The hallway of the giant convention center in South Boston was the scene of a friendly takeover Tuesday. Half the prominent lobbyists in town had descended on the center, the site of a meeting of the Massachusetts Gaming Commission. The panel’s mission was to decide whether Suffolk Downs, newly partnered with Mohegan Sun, would be permitted to move forward with its plan to apply for a casino license in Revere. You may remember Suffolk Downs’ casino plan from its earlier incarnation. Just a month ago, it was slated to be built in East Boston, at the racetrack, with a piece of the development stretching over the line into Revere. Both communities had to vote on whether to approve the casino. Revere voted heavily in favor of the casino; East Boston voted heavily against it. Undeterred, the Suffolk Downs people immediately announced …

Read More »

Revere project takes first step toward becoming reality

Officials, developers hold groundbreaking ceremony for $42M residential high rise Story and photo By Thor Jourgensen / The Daily Item   REVERE — An asphalt-covered lot facing Revere Beach is the site for the first of several high-rise residential buildings planned over the next decade for the city’s oceanfront, developers and Mayor Daniel Rizzo said Friday. Construction on the Vanguard building starts next week, said city development consultant Paul Rupp, and its 194 market-rate apartments will be completed in 18 months. Vanguard is the first building planned for Waterfront Square, a beachside development project Rizzo said will stretch down Ocean Avenue from Revere Street to the Wonderland subway station by the time it is completed. “This investment speaks volumes about Revere’s untapped potential,” Rizzo said Friday. Under design since 2006, Waterfront Square already features a parking garage next to the station paid for with tax dollars and a pedestrian bridge connecting the …

Read More »

Broadside: Revere, Mass. rolls the dice on casino- Mayor Rizzo Interview with Jim Braude

(NECN) – In Massachusetts, the battle over casinos was fought at a hearing of the state Gaming Commission. Dan Rizzo, the Mayor of Revere, Mass., was the lead witness in favor of the Revere-only sitting of the Suffolk Downs casino. Mayor Rizzo says he feels the city can go forward with planning a resort casino at Suffolk Downs, despite neighboring East Boston residents voting against it on Nov. 5, and clarified he thinks Revere does not need a new host agreement with Suffolk. “Our host agreement always took into consideration the possibility of development on the Revere side of the land,” he says, adding, “as a practical matter, voters went out to vote for a casino or not for a casino. I think the fact that it moved a thousand feet down the road does not factor into their decision whether or not our voters support it.” Mayor Rizzo admits …

Read More »

Gambling commission hears revised Suffolk Downs casino concept

By Mark Arsenault |  GLOBE STAFF     NOVEMBER 22, 2013 Proponents of salvaging a defeated Suffolk Downs casino by relocating the proposal entirely in Revere insisted Thursday before the state gambling commission that the project can be moved without a new referendum. Revere voters approved a Suffolk Downs casino Nov. 5, the same day voters in East Boston rejected the proposal. Original plans called for all the construction to take place on the East Boston side of the city line bisecting the property. Suffolk Downs’s strategy to stay alive in the fight for the sole Greater Boston resort casino license is to shift the proposal entirely into Revere, separate the casino from the racetrack, and — critically — convince the commission that the positive Revere vote two weeks ago remains valid for a new proposal. Read the Full story at Boston.com      

Read More »

Suffolk Downs, Mohegan developers furiously try to stay in Mass. casino game

Jon Chesto -Managing Editor, Print-Boston Business Journal   The fates of the casino projects in East Boston and Palmer were supposed to be decided on Election Day. It seemed simple: up or down votes for host community agreements, giving voters a chance to say if they wanted a casino in their backyards. In the end, the tallies on Tuesday showed a majority of voters rejecting casino projects in both locations. But the roulette wheel hasn’t stopped spinning yet. The developers of both casinos are furiously trying to figure out a way to stay in the potentially lucrative new market that is Massachusetts casino gaming. With a Dec. 31 deadline established by the Massachusetts Gaming Commission for formal plans to be filed, both developers are certainly running out of time. But, despite their Election Day losses, they haven’t given up. Full Story by Jon Chesto – Managng Editor Print , Boston …

Read More »

Comeback of Columbus Day Parade …..See 2013 Parade and previous years at RevereTV

  The City of Revere, Mayor Dan Rizzo, the Revere Chamber of Commerce and the Columbus Day Parade Committee brought back the Columbus Day Parade to Revere after 5 years. The weather was perfect for a parade as thousands of Revere residents, families and friends gathered all along the parade route. The 2013 Columbus Day Parade was enjoyed by thousands here in Revere on a beautiful fall day! Christopher Columbus and Queen Isabella were portrayed by Mr. & Mrs Nick & Marie Giacobbe. The parade featured many wonderful floats, attractions, and community organizations strutting their stuff for all the locals to enjoy. Be sure to watch the 2013 City of Revere Columbus Day Parade at www.reveretv.org  Enjoy the commentary by Revere TV staff and local personalities as well as descriptions of all the parade entries of this wonderful community tradition.      

Read More »